American Heart Month
January 29, 2024 | American Society of Safety Professionals | Blog | Colorado | Safety
- The Heart is a strong, muscular organ that pumps blood throughout your body.
- Heart Rate, also referred to as your pulse, is the number of times your heart beats in one minute. Resting heart rates vary from person to person.
- Heart Health is the overall well-being of your heart. Heart-healthy living involves understanding your risk factors, making healthy choices, and taking steps to reduce your chances of getting heart disease.
- Heart Disease is a catchall phrase for a variety of conditions that affect the heart’s structure and function.
- Cardiac Arrest is the sudden loss of all heart activity due to an irregular heart rhythm.
- Cardiovascular Disease is the term for all types of diseases that affect the heart or blood vessels. Often simply referred to as “heart disease,” coronary heart disease is the most common form and occurs when plaque (a combination of fat, cholesterol, calcium, and other substances found in the blood) builds up in your arteries. The plaque reduces the amount of oxygen-rich blood going to your heart.
Why is American Heart Month important?
- There are about 10,000 cardiac arrests in the workplace each year in the United States
- More than 350,000 cardiac arrests occur outside of the hospital each year
- Heart disease and stroke claim more lives each year in the United States than all forms of cancer and Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease (CLRD) combined
- Cardiovascular diseases accounted for approximately 19.05 million global deaths in 2020
- Heart Attack occurs when the flow of your blood is severely reduced or blocked. Meaning your heart can’t get enough oxygen. If the blood flow isn’t restored quickly, the heart muscle will begin to die.
- Cardiac Arrest occurs when the heart stops pumping. Once this happens, the blood will stop flowing to the brain and other vital organs.
What can MSC Safety Solutions do for you?
- MSC Safety Solutions offers a 4 Hour First Aid/CPR/AED Course in both English and Spanish. This course will go over First Aid Basics, medical emergencies, injury emergencies, CPR hands on and hands-free training and Adult CPR AED. This course will allow students to take prompt action when faced with Cardiac Arrest.
- We provide training to help meet every company’s safety goal and mandatory obligations.Please contact us to learn more about our specialized training courses, as well as safety consulting. Our team of safety professionals are dedicated to delivering the best results for the overall health and safety of your company.